Tuesday, May 08, 2007

My Italian Adventures begin in Milano!

What can I say about Italia? I have wanted to come here for as long as I can remember. Since learning to speak Italian from a neighbors grandma. I love saying the names of the Italian cities in Italian....Milano, Venezia, Roma, it just seems so wrong to call them by their English names anymore.

I am heading to Milano on the TGV (Train a Vitesse) from Paris and boy are we flying. I arrive and cab it to my hotel, the whatchamacallit?

Milano is beautiful and busy and exciting and despite it being one of the fashion capitals, you don't really get that sense of style like NYC. I take the subway and the trolley to sitesee. I love everything about this city. I head out to have dinner with a friend and on the way see rabbits! My friend Enrico has lived on the outskirts of Milano for years and have never noticed the rabbits (coniglia) before. He has a beautiful place with a beautiful English garden out back. He makes me dinner and we eat in the garden by candlelight. How romantic......ah the Italians.....

I did not find out until I arrived that you had to make an appointment to see DaVinci's The Last Supper and there is nothing available, so next time...

I do get to see the Duomo and it is SPECTACULAR!!!! I can see it has been recently cleaned but I like it better dirty. I think the dirt stresses the architecture and gives it this haunting look, but I hear it is bad for the structure.

In a dream some years ago I dreamt I was walking through the Galleria in Milano and ran into my dream man wearing a navy blue Giorgio Armani suit. My man had shoulder length black hair and had blue eyes, his name was Salvatore, well, I went to the Galleria and looked through some of the shops and waited and waited and guess what? He never showed up.......

I am rocking out of Milano and on my way to Venezia!

No comments: