Friday, December 22, 2006

Koh Samui

There are dwindling supplies here on the Koh. The BB fruit salad now consists only of bananas and I think after today THAT will be gone. Christmas is a few days away and with the threat of no booze on the island, things will get very ugly.

My friends Flo and Katy, two gorgeous souls from the UK have left for the more HOITY, TOITY Koh Samui, but hear that I am determined to put on Christmas dinner they want to come back. I am expecting a package that cannot make it here because no boats are coming in. It is chock a block full of goodies for my special Christmas feast my friend sent me from home. The Big Blue Christmas is going off in two parts, the Swedish Christmas Dinner and the Q Christmas Dinner. The Swedish celebration kicks off the 24th and then my feast will be on the 26th or Boxing day. We decide that day because we will all be recuperating from the 24th and the 25th. That is also a day to remember the tsunami victims and survivors.

I decide last minute to brave the crazy surf and head to Samui because Christmas just ain't Christmas without SWEET POTATOES!!!!! I am armed with seasick pills and getting on the boat the unsuspecting people getting on have no idea about the mechanical bull thehy are getting on. And it does not disappoint. I meet the girlies at Tesco a proper grocery store (a chain from the UK), but with everything they have, they do not have the coveted prize. I employ my taxi driver to drive us around the island in a search for the booty. Place after place reveals no sweeties. Actually I am not altogether sure she really knows exactly what we are looking for....and then.....a breakthrough. We hit yet another place and this time Flo shows our lady a white potato and then a carrot...........MY GEORGE; I THINK SHE'S GOT IT!!!!!!!

Like 3 crack whores, we head down a dark alleyway, eyes wide open. Surely if something happens here, we would never be heard from again. You can see people in the distance of what looks like a dimly lit closed......some kind of........market that maybe only locals know about. I am instructed to get out of the safety of our vehicle alone. I say goodbye to Flo and Katy as I walk about 100 meters through a course of onlooking fans, to a table covered with blue tarps. Jokingly I say, "looks like a body under there", the woman just looks at me and lifts up the edge of the tarp and out.....falls....an....eye!!!!!!......OF A SWEET POTATO!!!!!! CHA CHING; CHA CHING; JACKPOT!!!!!! I motion to the girls and we collect 8lbs of the orange gold. My job here is done.

I stayed at an amazing hotel on Samui, the Amari Palm Reef Resort. I got a really good deal on Orbitz that got me this amazing room with a loft. My friends could have stayed here with me there was so much space. We are back home to Koh Tao tomorrow.

No comments: