OK, I have calmed down a bit, I am not AS overwhelmed by China now, but it still leaves me breathless. I was trying to have my "Big Girl" pants on and pretend like it did not bother me, but when a girl in the travel department in my hotel asked me how did I like Beijing, I burst into tears. Not just tears, BOO HOO sobbing, then I got angry and composed myself enough to say. As Ambassadors to the Olympic games, a great number of my countrymen will be here for the games and the Chinese should treat them with respect, but either way, whenever you find yourself up against us in any sport, you can forget it, because we will STEP ON YOUR HEADS AND KEEP ON ROLLING!!!! WHERE THE HELL DID THAT COME FROM?!!!!!!!
My friend Victoria is a tall Blonde from Gibraltar which gorgeous blue eyes. The two of us together on the street created such a stir. People were literally pulling over to the side of the road to see us. Fathers were pointing us out to their children like "Hey kids, two rare PANDAS (xiu mao) are walking the streets of Beijing!! Vicky has lived in China for 3 years and 2 years before that off and on and I can tell the attention is wearing on her. The first day I was fine, I was all Southern about it, HAY Y'All, NI HAO! I decided to stay in Sunday the official National day because everyone would be out in full force and I was not ready on my own. Thank God for my little ol hotel. I have decided on a name for my throngs of admirers......FANS!
I head out early(0600)to the Great Wall. The vision: I will get there so early, I will stroll along casually by myself, soaking in the beauty and history of the wall, maybe even sing a song or two. The advantage I have always had in the states of getting up early is completely lost in China (which i should have known from years of going to Chinatown). THE REALITY: We get to the wall at 0700 and on the wall at 0730 and it is packed to the balls! Oh Yea National Week, so with it packed, that meant WHAT!!! You guessed it. My throngs of fans!
We are at the Badaling section of the wall and it is STEEP!!!!!! and mind you I took the cable car up. As it really gets super tough and super crowded, I decide to call it a day, because it is packed! and by the time I get back to the parking lot, my knees will be crying. It is an absolutely amazing view and an even more amazing feat that it was built. It is truly magnificent and an absolute wrong it is not a Wonder of the Ancient World.
No comments:
Post a Comment