It is also where the photo opportunities are. The one thing everyone asks is about the food. How does it differ from the food in the US? First off it is alot spicier. A lot more dynamic. If you are not careful there is a little spice that comes in the form of little peppercorns, but unlike peppercorns which will leave your mouth hot, these will leave your mouth NUMB! Which I found out after a few bites into one of my dishes.
I originally was to couch surf in Beijing but I got the dates all mixed up with my host and did not want to have to move my stuff continually and anybody who knows me know how much stuff I travel with. Mind you before I left oz, I sent 5 boxes home. I ended up at the Crowne Plaza and not a bad place to end up I might add. Plus I got it for 70 bucks a night. I had not planned to splurge until I got to Chongqing but I ended up my whole stay at the CP.
Beijing is very smoggy and I can see why people would describe it as "gray". I am told whenever something is going on in Beijing say the Olympic Committee considering an Olympic site, industry is stopped and chemical rockets shot into the air to produce rain and thereby washing the smog to present a more clear and sunny city. They plant flowers everywhere and VOILA! Instant paradise! Once people are impressed and have left town, Beijing returns to the smog.
I have delayed in writing because I was having some very strong reactions to being constantly stared at and I was upset and angry for my first days in Beijing. I was grateful for being in a western hotel because it gave me a sanctuary from the pointing and laughing I got on the street. I had higher hopes for a nationality who places so much emphasis on "saving face" and "honor", the reality have been proven to be quite different. To make matters worse, I am here during Chinese holiday, so everywhere is packed with Chinese tourists. Everything became a public spectacle, and while I truly expected staring and was ready for that, what cut me to the core and brought back the torment of childhood......was the pointing and the laughing.
![]() |
| Beijing |

No comments:
Post a Comment