Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Great Ocean Road

Dave and I head to great ocean road which is the Australian version of the Pacific Coast Hwy. Our first stop, Bells Beach which is world famous for surfing. The beauty of the landscape is not to be believed! We are high on a bluff overlooking the beach and the surfers must make a steep descent to get down to the beach. The return? I can't even think about it.

It is very beautiful with plunging cliffs and beautiful beaches, amazing forests. We see kookaburras and actually got to touch an echidna we saw in the wild. One of the high points was seeing the twelve apostles, these giant rock columns eroded away from the mainland.

KOALAS
As we are heading down the road, we come across a tourbus on the side of the road which meant they were looking at something, so we pull over. On a branch over the road, everyone was looking at a KOALA!!!!!! My first in the wild. I noticed what looked like a trail into the woods, so I followed it. OOOKoala, OOOO OOOO another koala, it looks like a whole tribe, family, troupe, mob, crew, posse of koalas.....then I spot one koala a little ways away and go bush to capture this last one before we turn back. She is a beauty!!......THEN....she turns around........and OH MY GOSH!!!!! there is a little baby on her back JACKPOT!!!!!!!! The baby is looking the other way but the bush is too thick to hike around the other side. Mind you the spiders are starting to wake up. THEN......BANG!!! the baby turns his head and looks right into the camera!!!!!!!!!! I could not have gotten a better shot, if I was up that gum tree with them. I will thank you all, as I accept my new position as NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER!!!!!!!!!

HANG ON TO YOUR BUTTS AS YOU LOOK AT THESE PHOTOS, THEY ARE A BEAUT!!!

No comments: