Monday, August 21, 2006

I Gorge Myself

We start out at the super butt crack of dawn. We head out for the gorges. The first of the hikes is to "nature's window" which requires you to be part mountain goat. Since I am not particularly fond of heights, it was much more harrowing for me than the "youngins". I just envisioned myself tripping over my big feet and doing a face dive off the cliff.

The views from natures window is incredible!! All I could think of was that we would never be allowed to do this back in the states!

The hike back UP the gorge was killing and the only reason I was not dead last was because Gilles forgot his water bottle. I hurried as he came running back to the group and luckily they had the defibrillator on hand.

The hike down the "Z" (pronounced Zed) gorge proved to be much more physical. My knees were screaming from the first hike so I stopped to rest when we got down to a certain point and let the rest go ahead. To make matters worse, we had to carry all our valuables with us, so I had to hike with a backpack that had my laptop and cameras in it. I decided to personal best myself and make it to the look out point.

I know I make fun of myself for not keeping up, but it really is a blessing to be left behind. I can take more in and see the scenery and not just get the hike in.

I knew going down, it was going to be INSANE coming back up. I made it down to the look out point which was great. I could see the rest of the group hiking down the ravine. I was not that crazy, so I leisurely made my way back. Once back at the bus, I asked some Japanese tourist to administer the defibrillator, they were happy to oblige.

No comments: