Monday, August 07, 2006

Uluru

Uluru also known as the "Red Centre" is literally in the center of Australia. Because I waited until the last minute to book my tour at Uluru the only thing left was.....you guessed it.....CAMPING! You wouldn't know it but I used to be a world class camper, say about 20 years ago! That would have all been fine, but it was soooooooooooo cold at night I had to sleep in clothes with a sweater and a hat and 4 blankets. I got an upgrade to a tent with a bed, so I did have a bed with blankets while everyone else slept in swags.

Uluru is sacred to the Aborigines and the local Anangu Tribe who owns the land strongly advise against climbing it. Many people in my group climbed Uluru, granted I wouldn't even if I could. I walked around key spiritual points of the Rock and listened to the stories the Anangu told, just soaking in their words and the spirit of Uluru. We then loaded up and headed to the sunset spot.

I found out months later from a guy I met on the road that planes to not fly over Uluru and that people who climb it frequently get sick. A few people in my group got sick after their climb......

No comments: