Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Monkey Mia

Money Mia is an area of shark bay where the wild dolphins have been coming up to shore for some forty years. We arrived in town for a spectacular sunset. The wind is really blowing so it was unlikely we would go for a swim. So we cook dinner and I sample my first piece of "roo" meat. We also learn how to say "Cooee" which is an Aboriginal word that is used to call, relay location and to search for people. We spend the evening down on the beach looking at the stars and learning about the constellations seen from this part of the world.

We are down at the the beach at 7:30a for the feeding of the dolphins. Since i want to be picked to feed the dolphins, I practised pouting the lips and putting on the doe-eyed pick me face, but got beat down and pushed aside by a six year old girl. I look at her with the "Girlie I have been pouting way before you were born, so SCRAM!). I see her pushing some little old lady out of the way, which is something I am unwilling to do.

I decide the pelicans are putting on more of a show so I watch the guy coming to feed them. They are like little puppies following their mommas.

After seeing the dolphins we hit the high seas on catamaran. Our Cap'N is Mark who pointed out the constellations to us last night. This is where I first discover my celebrity amongst Asian tourists. I am not sure if they want to be photographed with me because they think I am an Aborigine or if I am just the biggest woman they have ever seen.

We head out and I am on the grinders to trim the sails. YEEEHAAAAW! it is wonderful. You can see me driving the boat. Just call me CAP'N Q!!!!! I am on the lookout for dugongs (related to the manatee) and dolphins. We see the baby of one of the dolphins at shore, she is being babysat by a friend. Then the mama joins her towards the end of the cruise. We passed by the largest sea grass area in the world in hopes of seeing the elusive dugong.

We just soak up the sun and the breeze in our hair on our way back to port. Shark bay is also home to world research not only for the bottle-nose dolphin but for tiger sharks as well. After lunch we hit the road.

No comments: